A California mother and father are devastated after a hospital reportedly removed their 2-year-old son from life support last week following a long legal battle.
Officials at Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles removed Israel Stinson, 2, from life support on Thursday after a judge upheld the decision, writes the Los Angeles Times.
The child’s parents,Jonee Fonseca and Nathaniel Stinson, had “sought an injunction to prevent the hospital from taking action while they rushed to make arrangements to put him in home care,” writes the news outlet:
On Tuesday, the hospital informed Israel’s mother that they would file a motion to oppose the injunction, and on Thursday the motion was filed. The family’s struggle to save Israel ended when Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Amy D. Hogue ruled in favor of the hospital’s decision, and immediately following the ruling, Israel’s ventilator was removed.
“I was on the phone with his mother when the doctors disconnected him,” Alexandra Snyder, an attorney with the Life Legal Defense Foundation, said Friday. The pro-life group is representing Israel’s family pro bono. “They were in such a hurry to do it, they didn’t even sit down and explain what was going on.”
The family is “devastated,” Snyder said. “They lost their son [Thursday] after a long, long battle for him and for his life, so they are understandably heartbroken.”
The battle began on April 1 when Israel fell into a coma after experiencing a severe asthma attack and a heart attack that restricted oxygen flow to his brain, notes the report. He was rushed to Kaiser Permanente Roseville Medical Center in Sacramento, where doctors declared him brain-dead and suggested that he be removed from life support, the report says. But his parents refused to give up.
Fonseca even created a GoFundMe.com page to help pay for his medical expenses, writing, “God is telling me not to let go.”
On Thursday, however, she had no choice but to let go. Sound off in comments.
SOURCE: Los Angeles Times | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Parents Heartbroken After Hospital Disconnects 2-Year-Old Son From Life Support was originally published on newsone.com