On Friday, a man wearing a bomb blew himself up at a soccer game killing more than two dozen people and wounding 90. The BBC also reports that 17 of the dead were boys between the ages of 10 and 16.
The crowd had gathered for a ceremony to mark a championship for a popular local soccer team when the bomb exploded, the head of the Babil province security committee, Baydhan al Hamdani, CNN wrote. The city’s mayor, who was presenting the awards, was also killed during the attack, New York Magazine reported.
Within hours, ISIS took to the Internet to own responsibility for the killings.
Since news of the attacks hit, numerous global leaders and governments have reacted, condemning the senseless murder of innocent people.
“The United States condemns today’s suicide bombing claimed by [ISIS] … which killed and wounded dozens of Iraqis who had gathered to support a local football game,” said a statement from Elizabeth Trudeau, director of the U.S. State Department’s office of press relations.
Jan Kubis, the special representative of the U.N. Secretary-General for Iraq, did the same. “The evildoers are aiming their wrath at the innocent and vulnerable civilians. Today, [ISIS] committed yet another atrocity, targeting families who were enjoying their weekend attending a football game in their hometown. This abhorrent act deserves the strongest condemnation,” he said.
These attacks occurred not to long after the U.S. claimed to have killed two top ISIS leaders this week.
ISIS terror is not new or rare to Iraq. Earlier this month nearly 60 people were killed by these radical Islamic State in Hila, where a tanker filled with explosives crashed into an Iraqi security checkpoint, NBC noted.