The family of Freddie Gray–the latest national symbol of police brutality against Blacks–urged rioters on Monday to stop destroying their community in the name of their loved one.
“Don’t tear up the whole city just for him,” Gray’s mother, Gloria Darden, said, according to NBC News. “That’s wrong.”
She said she wants justice for her son, but told protesters not to “do it like this,” reports the television news outlet.
Darden’s plaintive plea came just hours after burying her 25-year-old son, who died April 19, a week after his spine was mysteriously severed during an arrest by Baltimore Police on charges of alleged criminal activity.
The death sparked nearly a week of peaceful protests in a city whose Blacks and police already have a tenuous relationship. But for reasons that remain unclear, peaceful protests gave way to violence on Monday, despite pleas from the family to remain calm and allow justice to take its course. Individuals burned and overturned cars in the streets, while neighborhood stores were looted.
“To see that it turned into all this violence and destruction, I am really appalled,” Gray’s stepfather Richard Shipley said told NBC News.
For more coverage of Monday night’s unrest, see the links below.
SOURCE: NBC News | VIDEO CREDIT: NDN
Baltimore Reacts To The Freddie Gray Case [PHOTOS]
1. Fire eruptsSource:Getty 1 of 19
2. After being pepper sprayedSource:Getty 2 of 19
3. Injured manSource:Getty 3 of 19
4. Smoke conditionSource:Getty 4 of 19
5. Mondawmin Mall clashSource:Getty 5 of 19
6. Mowdamin MallSource:Getty 6 of 19
7. Lining up to mourn Freddie GraySource:Getty 7 of 19
8. GrievingSource:Getty 8 of 19
9. New Shiloh Baptist ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 19
10. Honk for JusticeSource:Getty 10 of 19
11. Police in riot gear confront protestersSource:Getty 11 of 19
12. Police in motionSource:Getty 12 of 19
13. ConfrontedSource:Getty 13 of 19
14. Facing downSource:Getty 14 of 19
15. On the groundSource:Getty 15 of 19
16. Atop a carSource:Getty 16 of 19
17. Remembering Freddie GraySource:Getty 17 of 19
18. Black Lives MatterSource:Robin Akinwale, WERQ 18 of 19
19. Marching to police stationSource:Getty 19 of 19
“Don’t Tear Up This City:” Freddie Gray’s Mother Pleads To Residents Of Baltimore was originally published on newsone.com