We’re so excited for Danielle Brooks! This Juilliard-trained actress has just been cast as the first Black woman on HBO’s hit series, “Girls.” Many of us have gotten to know this dimple-faced cutie as the outspoken, foul-mouthed, hilarious jailbird, Taystee in Netflix’s “Orange Is The New Black.”Brooks was brought in to the show’s second season and was fan-favorite in no time, allowing her character to be a staple on the show.
“I will be the first black woman to be on ‘Girls,’ so that’s exciting for me,” Brooks recently gushed to Ebony. With “Girls” in it’s third season, we’re hoping for a similar fate–seeing Brooks as a recurring character. Lena Dunham, the creator or “Girls” has had a lot of negative feedback about the lack of color in her show. In an interview with NPR, Lena attempted to explain why “Girls” lacked color:
This show isn’t supposed to feel exclusionary. It’s supposed to feel honest, and it’s supposed to feel true to many aspects of my experience. But for me to ignore that criticism and not to take it in would really go against my beliefs and my education in so many things.
Something I wanted to avoid was tokenism in casting. If I had one of the four girls, if, for example, she was African-American, I feel like — not that the experience of an African-American girl and a white girl are drastically different, but there has to be specificity to that experience [that] I wasn’t able to speak to. I really wrote the show from a gut-level place, and each character was a piece of me or based on someone close to me. And only later did I realize that it was four white girls.
Dunham then added rapper and actor, Donald Glover as a love interest, but that didn’t really solve the color issue on the show. Maybe Brooks will? “I like to play people who are underdogs and misfits. People who are not on a straight and narrow path. That’s exciting for me. I know the rest of my career isn’t going to be playing inmates,” Brooks said of her role in “Orange Is The New Black.”
Don’t you love when you see the results of something being spoken into existence? As the newest cast member on the heavily-criticized all-White show, “Girls,” Brooks knows that she is breaking ground. “A lot of Black women come up to me and say they’re happy to see someone like myself with natural hair and dark skin and who is my size. It’s just cool,” Brooks humbly states.
What’s next for this comedic powerhouse? The sky’s the limit as she just shot an episode of “Girls” and is hoping that fellow full-figured comedian, Melissa McCarthy “will hit a sister up.” We’ve got our eyes on you Danielle Brooks!
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery Of Gorgeous Brown-Skinned Beauties!
1. Brown-skinned beauties1 of 44
2. Brown-skinned beauties2 of 44
3. Brown-skinned beauties3 of 44
4. Brown-skinned beauties4 of 44
5. Brown-skinned beauties5 of 44
6. Brown-skinned beauties6 of 44
7. Brown-skinned beauties7 of 44
8. Brown-skinned beauties8 of 44
9. Brown-skinned beauties9 of 44
10. Brown-skinned beauties10 of 44
11. Brown-skinned beauties11 of 44
12. Brown-skinned beauties12 of 44
13. Brown-skinned beauties13 of 44
14. Brown-skinned beauties14 of 44
15. Brown-skinned beauties15 of 44
16. Brown-skinned beauties16 of 44
17. Brown-skinned beauties17 of 44
18. Brown-skinned beauties18 of 44
19. Brown-skinned beauties19 of 44
20. Brown-skinned beauties20 of 44
21. Brown-skinned beauties21 of 44
22. Brown-skinned beauties22 of 44
23. Brown-skinned beauties23 of 44
24. Brown-skinned beauties24 of 44
25. Brown-skinned beauties25 of 44
26. Brown-skinned beauties26 of 44
27. Brown-skinned beauties27 of 44
28. Brown-skinned beauties28 of 44
29. Brown-skinned beauties29 of 44
30. Brown-skinned beauties30 of 44
31. Brown-skinned beauties31 of 44
32. Brown-skinned beauties32 of 44
33. Brown-skinned beauties33 of 44
34. Brown-skinned beauties34 of 44
35. Brown-skinned beauties35 of 44
36. Brown-skinned beauties36 of 44
37. Brown-skinned beauties37 of 44
38. Brown-skinned beauties38 of 44
39. Brown-skinned beauties39 of 44
40. Brown-skinned beauties40 of 44
41. Brown-skinned beauties41 of 44
42. Brown-skinned beauties42 of 44
43. Brown-skinned beauties43 of 44
44. Brown-skinned beauties44 of 44
HBO’s ‘Girls’ Diversifies Cast With ‘Taystee’ New Cast Member was originally published on hellobeautiful.com