John Singleton was the first black film director nominated for an Academy Award for the box office hit Boyz N the Hood, starring rap artist Ice cube,Cuba Gooding Jr., Larry Fishburne, and Morris Chestnut. The film also earned hin the New york Critics Circle Best New Director Award in 1991 and the MTV Movie Award for Best New Filmmaker in 1992. Although the film presents an anti-drug and anti-violence message, it sparked violence when it opened in several cities in the United States on July 12, 1991.
- Mo’Nique Shows Off A Dramatic Weight Loss
- Celeb Hair: Solange Knowle’s 10 Best Afros [PHOTOS]
- Man Sets Up Cameras In House To Find Ghosts, Catches Girlfriend Sexing Son
- Jennifer Hudson‘s Fiancé Isn’t Happy About Her Weight Loss.
- Trailer for the Celebrity Filled ‘Baggage Claim’ Hits the Net (WATCH)
- Ratchet Report: 'Love & Hip-Hop: Atlanta' Star Fails Drug Test and Heads to Rehab
- COMMENTARY: Tiki Barber Dumped Pregnant Wife and Now Asks: Why Don’t People Like Me?
- Dr. Dre Under Fire For Donating $35 Million to USC Instead Of Black College(s)
- Indianapolis Settles Brandon Johnson's Police Brutality Lawsuit